[haiku] ARM nerbooks

  • From: Nicholas Blachford <nicholas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 17:53:43 +0000

Hi all,

I've mentioned I though Haiku would be a good target for the forthcoming ARM netbooks.

A load have just been shown off at CES, including this sexy $199 model:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/09/pegatron-and-freescale-team-for-low-power-ultra-cheap-netbooks/

It lasts 8 hours on half the batteries of an Atom netbook. It'll be running a future Ubuntu when it ships sometime in the summe.

But, there's more:

http://edge.networkworld.com/news/2009/010909-nvidia-targets-99-netbook-with.html?hpg1=bn
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2009/01/08/via-subsidiary-wondermedia-introduces-prizm-smartbook/

These are going to be really cheap ($99!) but might have a bit of a harder time running Ubuntu, especially the prizm at a whopping 450MHz (bizarrely it's made by a company owned by Via).

Now if only there was a small, easy to use, memory light OS that didn't require a fast processor or gobs of HD space...

--

Nicholas Blachford
nicholas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx