[haiku-web] Re: website skin/theme

  • From: "Jorge Mare" <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 16:45:42 -0700

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 3:13 PM, Dennis d'Entremont
<dennis.dentremont@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> In addition to the above, it may be interesting to consider using
>> shared sign-on:
>>
>> http://drupal.org/project/singlesignon
>
> I am on the fence on this. IMO, I don't know if it would be beneficial for
> all HUG's to link back to the main Haiku site.

Connecting all the HUGs can give a strong sense of unity, and could
help create an ecosystem that is less vulnerable to fragmentation.
There are other potential benefits for the project as a whole when
seen from the POV of marketing and communications with the overall
community, but this not that relevant to web stuff that this list is
generally concerned about.

>> This would allow to share the user base, and potentially user maps
>> (using Google maps).
>
> To what extent does the Haiku Project want to "regulate" or "control" (for
> lack of better terms) individual HUGs?

I would not put it in terms of attempting to regulate or control the
HUGs. This is open source and we can't force people into doing stuff.
:)

However, I do think there are legitimate reasons for at least
attempting to have HUG guidelines.

One aspect is regarding the protection of our trademarks, as it
relates to the use of the Haiku brand in domains names and how the can
be generally perceived. This is more or less analogous to (although
slightly different from) the use of the name Haiku in distros.

The other and perhaps more important aspect is that of creating an
ecosystem that conveys a strong sense of unity and identity with the
project.

Jorge