[haiku-web] Re: Renaming mailing list before R1

  • From: "Gavin James" <gavin.james@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 18:10:21 +0100

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 4:23 PM, Jorge Mare <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 2:30 AM, Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>> I think what happened is that we were going to try to do the server
>>> migration and upgrade to Drupal 5.x at the same time. But it does not
>>> look like we are upgrading Drupal anytime soon, so we might as well do
>>> the server migration and get over with it first (that way we can kiss
>>> WF goodbye!). IIRC, we will have to migrate the email (to Gmail?),
>>> right?
>>
>> I would like to gently disagree about not upgrading Drupal soon.
>
> If there are people willing to work on the Drupal upgrade, then I
> agree. But if we struggle to find people/time for the upgrade, then we
> should not delay the server migration because of this, as we have an
> ISP contract renewal deadline that we cannot miss. The Drupal upgrade
> can happen after the server migration.

Upgrading to Drupal 5 certainly isn't urgent, and IMHO moving Drupal,
the domains, and email to their new homes is going to be challenging
enough co-ordination wise without having to consider any potential
upgrade issues.

Do we already have an Apache instance on our new server? MySQL? What
versions? PHP? A PHP accelerator? Compiled with the same modules as
WebFaction? Getting these setup might be as simple as installing the
various Blastwave packages... or then again it might not.

>> So basically I imagined it like this: I'd suggest I fix the last known
>> issues in the theme. Then we plan a weekend where we do the migration.
>> I'd suggest just finding a web of volunteers that try the migrated
>> site and through an IRC channel communicate with a few of us admins so
>> we can touch up the site where needed.
>
> I like the idea; I would try to be there if the meeting is scheduled
> with enough advance notice.
>
> A few observations based on a quick look to the experimental site:
>
> * Templates still need to be modified
>
> * Breadcrumbs seem to be missing from the Community & Development sections
>
> * Image embedding is missing from content creation forms (unless I am
> missing something); our current 4.x solution for this is suboptimal,
> but Drupal 5.x has some neat modules that would make adding images to
> content and managing them very easy; IMCE module comes to mind:
>
> http://drupal.org/project/imce
>
> * We may consider adding wysiwyg editing; they were pretty crappy back
> in the days when we created the site, but they have matured a lot, and
> a few are quite usable now.

And then there's the issue of dropping the Categories module...

"The Category module is large and very complex. Installing it and
migrating your existing data into it is no small task, and
uninstalling it is extremely difficult, if not impossible. It is a
more resource-intensive module than its alternatives, and it will slow
down your site, particularly if you enable a lot of the included
sub-modules. Additionally, there are some longstanding bugs in
Category (particularly in the Drupal 5 version or before), especially
when dealing with menu handling."

http://drupal.org/project/category

- Gavin