[haiku-inc] Re: Contract communication part 2

  • From: Alexandre Deckner <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 12:36:24 +0100

Le 16/11/11 11:04, Patrik Gissberg a écrit :

In terms of marketing Haiku, I would love if Michael could finish some tasks. It doesn't matter how hard he works and how advanced that work is; the users (and especially the donors) want to see results. Saying "I looked at those advanced bugs that caused xyz memory to not being freed all the time" isn't the same as saying "Wireless networking is now 100% working. Test the network preflet yourself! And here's a nice screenshot to prove it.".

Hi Patrik,
Nagging for a report is perfectly fine, but with all due respect that paragraph doesn't really make sense to me. That might be your personal opinion, but if i understand you correclty, you don't care if what he works on is important or difficult to solve, what you want is that he works on things with visible results for non-technical users. Maybe there is a lack of trust on your side, but as someone who's been programming since the age of 7, i can assure you that Michael is one of the most talented and efficient programmer i've ever met, and we're very very very lucky to have him in the project, let alone with dedicated hours. And i'm pretty sure most people (donor or not) following the project closely are very happy with the current situation.

Maybe another fact troubling your judgment is that you misrepresent the current audience and target, and thus think that the communication is too technical. But the project is still looking (starving) for more developers and while we've dragged some old BeOS "regular customers" with us, the current and new active community is very different and consists mainly of technology lovers, developers and open source fellows, maybe less geeky than in other communities, but those we must try to please, people like us, everything else is speculation.

Despite some random ideas thrown in the air in recent posts on the subject, marketing Haiku is really not the time right now, and in my opinion might never be, at least _in the traditional sense_. First we've got nothing to sell, second we still have to define who might be interested. In my opinion anyway, marketing is quite opposite to the idea of open and sincere development (money involved or not). Unfortunately the subject is vast and we ought to be short in mailing lists.

All this is personal opinion etc...
Best regards,
Alex