[haiku-inc] Re: Contract Proposal: Package Management

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 17:50:37 +0200

On 2012-08-19 at 02:10:47 [+0200], Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[ ... ]

> Ingo & Oliver,
>
> Both of your contract proposals have been accepted. Congratulations!

Thanks for agreeing to the proposal :-)

> However, there are two discussion points.
>
> Attached to this mail is a set of contractor obligations that each
> of you must agree to. Most are conventions within the Haiku project.
> The rest is other requirements that each of you should already be
> familiar with, having done previous contracts. E.g., providing
> quotable summaries to Haiku, Inc. for marketing purposes and posting
> information to the project's website, so as to give casual users a
> sense of the ongoing work. Let us know if they're agreeable.

Just fine.

> A concern was raised that at the end of these contracts, package
> management may be in a state where it is nearly finished but not
> readily available to other contributors/package maintainers. We are
> asking that if it is possible to put package management into a state
> where others can help out, that would seem to be a good focal point.

While it certainly is a possibility that package managemen won't be finished
by the end of the contracts, I strongly believe that we should be able to get
it into a state that's more straightforward to contribute to: At the very
least, the infrastructure and policies for building packages should be in
place. Hopefully, as Ingo has written already, the PM-branch will be merged
back into the main repository during our work.

cheers,
        Oliver