[haiku-i18n] Re: Ellipses in Pootle

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-i18n@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 14:55:08 +0100

Hi Adrien!

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 10:13:03 +0100 Adrien Destugues wrote:
> > Since the GUI appears to use "…" anyway, I assume the
> > translation kit (or maybe rather the buildprocess?) takes care of
> > that.

> It doesn't.
> 1) it's the locale kit, not the translation kit, and

I knew that, just misspoke... :)

> 2) there is no conversion of this kind happening at all. computing
> the
> catalog keys and fingerprint is hard enough without them :)
>
> ... and … don't look very different in some fonts, are you sure the
> right one is used ?

Looks like you're right. I just compared English and German GUI
versions and on first glance they appeared identical.

I have now changed all "..." to "…" in the German catkeys. A special
characters button would be welcome, but copy&pasting from the original
works, too. People who want to adjust their ellipses as well find them
under the "Review" tab in the "endpunc" check. They are mixed in with
other "end punctuation" deviations, most probably intended.
Maybe the "Search" button there could be helpful in further filtering,
but that doesn't seem to work in Web+ at least. All in all there are
several features of the pootle site that don't seem to work with Web+
(or Bezilla for that matter). Verifying and dismissing suggestions
among it (I'll file a bug report about that). Anything we can do to
improve that besides updating WebKit/WebPositive?

Regards,
Humdinger

      Deutsche Haiku News  -  Haiku Gazette
        http://haiku-gazette.blogspot.com