[haiku-gsoc] Re: Kernel GDB stubs

Mike Smith wrote:
> IRC didn't really have a good answer for this, so I'll ask here:
>
> KDL seems to have GDB stubs (it has a 'gdb' command, at least) - is
> there any documentation on using this feature?

Only the source code. The feature is really rudimentary, so don't expect much.
You basically only get a nicer stack trace with parameter values and can
inspect variables. It's still somewhere on my virtual TODO list to improve the
support.

After staring the gdb command it acts as a debug stub for gdb. You have to
connect gdb to it via serial line. Check the gdb documentation how to do that.
IIRC it's something like a "remote" command or setting. I believe you can even
get the KDL prompt back somehow (check the sources -- maybe it's even just by
disconnected gdb). Last time I checked, it wasn't possible to load a Haiku
kernel built with gcc 2 and debug info in any gdb I tried (both Haiku's and
several version under Linux). They all either crashed or hung. With the gcc 4
kernel it worked fine, though.

CU, Ingo