[haiku-gsoc] Re: Full Text Search and Indexing -- Looking for opinions/comments

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-gsoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 20:50:36 +0200

On 2009-06-02 at 16:55:37 [+0200], Ankur Sethi <get.me.ankur@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> This is a GCC2 build.
>
> Do I rebuild the entire system or is there a way I can get GCC4
> running on a GCC2 build?

You can't just install some gcc 4 package, if that's what you mean. You can
build a gcc 2/4 hybrid system, though, which requires you to rebuild the
installation, but at least not all targets. The steps would be (on your
build host):

* Create an alternative "generated" directory for a gcc 4 build.
* Configure the gcc 4 build.
* Reconfigure your gcc 2 build (use the --cross-tools-prefix option instead
of --build-cross-tools).
* Re-jam the gcc 2 build.

For both "configure" runs specify the respectively other "generated"
directory via option --alternative-gcc-output-dir. This sets up the hybrid
builds.

With the setgcc script you can switch compilers under Haiku. Please note,
that this kind of cross-compilation has been introduced very recently and
might still have unknown issues. A gcc 4 base system might be the safer
choice.

CU, Ingo

PS: In case you haven't done that already, I'd recommend to set up another
BFS partition where your development sources live. This way you can update
the system without worrying too much.