[haiku-gsoc] Re: Full Text Search and Indexing -- Looking for opinions/comments

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-gsoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 11:55:17 -0400

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 2:43 AM, Ankur Sethi <get.me.ankur@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have been checking out GNOME's Tracker on Ubuntu Jaunty. It appears
> that Tracker adds files that have changed to a queue, and indexes
> those files when the computer is idle. I assume this wouldn't grind
> the hard disk, even if we use the node monitor (Rene and Axel had
> expressed concern over the fact that the node monitor is resource
> intensive).

In my experience the GNOME Tracker does not work this way in usage and
runs when I don't want it to (while I'm using the computer), and does
tons of IO and therefore grinds the hard disk. I would not necessarily
try to copy them unless you can actually make it work right. I've
learned to hate trackerd because of this. I've seen several Ubuntu
forum threads asking about how to disable Tracker so I don't think I'm
alone.

Regards,
Ryan