[haiku-gsoc] Re: Full Text Search and Indexing -- Looking for opinions/comments

  • From: scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-gsoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 15:13:20 +0000

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 6:43 AM, Ankur Sethi <get.me.ankur@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Resurrecting this thread now.
>
> I built a GCC2 system yesterday, with the Development optional package
> along with a few others (I was working on a VM this far).
>
> I tried to checkout CLucene from their SVN repo, and I ran into some
> problems (http://pastie.org/496595), so I downloaded a source tarball
> instead.

I've seen similar issues when trying to checkout allegro months ago.  Not
sure if this is an issue with their repo or a problem in our svn port.
You can try checking it out in linux, zip it and then move it to your haiku
install. (In my case I emailed it to myself)

> When I try to ./configure CLucene, it fails with these messages:
>
> checking for the pthreads library -lpthreads... no
> checking whether pthreads work without any flags... no
> checking whether pthreads work with -Kthread... no
> checking whether pthreads work with -kthread... no
> checking for the pthreads library -llthread... no
> checking whether pthreads work with -pthread... no
> checking whether pthreads work with -pthreads... no
> checking whether pthreads work with -mthreads... no
> checking for the pthreads library -lpthread... no
> checking whether pthreads work with --thread-safe... no
> checking whether pthreads work with -mt... no
> checking for pthread-config... no
> configure: error: Cannot find a working pthread configuration. If you
> think this is wrong, please review acx_pthread.m4 and report the
> problem
>
> I searched through the mailing list archives (haiku and
> haiku-development) and figured that Haiku does have pthread (right?).
> I assume, then, that this message is a result of my own unfamiliarity
> with (1) porting code to Haiku and (2) GNU Autotools. I'm currently
> reading through the HaikuPorts wiki. Next, I will play with Autotools.
> Meanwhile, could someone point me in the right direction regarding
> that error?
>
> I have been checking out GNOME's Tracker on Ubuntu Jaunty. It appears
> that Tracker adds files that have changed to a queue, and indexes
> those files when the computer is idle. I assume this wouldn't grind
> the hard disk, even if we use the node monitor (Rene and Axel had
> expressed concern over the fact that the node monitor is resource
> intensive).
>
> Anyway, I still need to get CLucene working before I think about the
> indexing daemon.
>
> /me goes off to read about Autotools
>
> --
> Ankur Sethi
> http://uncool.in

Looking at the files I see a CMakeLists.txt file, this is a tip off that you
can use CMake instead of the autotools.
Grab CMake from here:
http://ports.haiku-files.org/wiki/Downloads
Extract it to /boot
Then in your CLucene folder run:
cmake CMakeLists.txt
It finds and likes pthreads this time ;)
Then run make, opps it fails at 0%, seems compiler.h doesn't know Haiku, so
lpe src/CLucene/config/compiler.h and edit line 65 to add || (__HAIKU__)
Then save and run make again...  opps more errors... welcome to the fun of
porting.  I'll let you take it from there. ;)
-scottmc