[haiku-doc] Re: Conference/Moving Forward

  • From: Sevik <sevik9@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 22:25:28 -0700 (PDT)

The HOW-TO was very nice indeed. Thanks!

  Well, I don't know where to start, so on Friday I'm just going to dive in
somewhere and see if I can type something of worth, and then report on whatever
I do. If there is overlap with the work of others, that's cool, I just want to
jump in regardless of the dire consequences, but am not sure where to start
right now. I need my Friday comfort time (!) to relax and look closely at
everything before starting.

  I would also like to do small things in order to get my feet wet, and satisfy
my own personal view of what should be in the docs :)   As an example of
something really small, I noticed that the BList::SortItems method doc didn't
indicate the integer value that the compare function, which is passed to it,
should return. While it may be obvious to many (although I doubt to new
programmers), and an example with strings is just TWO clicks away, I think a
description of the return value that is not string-specific would be
appropriate.

  Another aside, is there any particular reason why the copyright information
is in a non-standard form? Normally, it would be:

  Copyright (C) 2007 Haiku, Inc. All rights reserved.

  Where (c) can also be a circle with a C in it -- &copy; in HTML; and no comma
after the year, and no caps on the 'rights reserved' part.

  Currently, we have:

  Copyright 2007, Haiku, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

  I know commas after dates are normal in a typical sentence, but usually not
in the copyright statement. Is the comma after the year a European thing? In
the US, it doesn't matter the form for legal purposes (not actually needed
anymore in fact), but I found that comma after the year to be a little
irritating :)

  Happy Documenting,

  - Rich

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.