[haiku-development] Re: window server / compositor

  • From: "Adrien Destugues" <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2016 15:17:55 +0000

6 janvier 2016 16:11 "Yong Bakos" <junk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit:

Hi everyone,
Thank you for keeping Haiku alive, I have always found BeOS/Haiku fascinating.

I have been digging through the source but am having a hard time discovering
how the desktop
environment, window server, compositor, etc are handled. Could anyone please
point me in the right
direction?

The "Desktop Environment" is made of the Tracker (Desktop and file manager) and
DeskBar (the DeskBar). Both live in src/apps.
The window server and compositor is app_server, src/servers/app.

If I wanted to try to create an "alternative" desktop environment for Haiku,
for example, using a
tiling window management system, do you have any tips about what to
investigate within the API and
source tree?

This would be mostly at the BWindow and decorator level. We already have a
"stack and tile" decorator, which supports some form of tiling.

src/kits/interface/Window.cpp
src/servers/app/stackandtile (the default "decorator" handling window
decorations but also behavior)

src/add-ons/decorators/ (the place where alternative "decorators" are found)

--
Adrien.