[haiku-development] Re: where is the kBootCode's source ?

  • From: "Ingo Weinhold" <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 22:20:29 +0200

On Sat, 14 May 2011 21:58:38 +0200 "Starsseed" <starsseed@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> > I think it's here: src/apps/bootmanager/bootman.S
> > I guess this code is used not only by BootManager,
> > but I'm not sure who/where else.
>
> bootman.S is used when you install the BootManager into the MBR (and the 3
> following sectors).
>
> I'm looking for the generic boot code that load and run the first sector
> of
> the active partition.
> the one modified from a "FreeBSD pmbr"

IIRC, I requested that the source be committed, too, and, more importantly,
that the copyright header for the code be added. AFAIK that hasn't happened
yet. Which is not acceptable. The code should be removed/replaced. If you feel
like doing that, please feel encouraged.

> NB :
> If I understand correctly, we have the choice between 2 boot sequences :
> 1* - BIOS -> standard MBR -> partition boot record (stage1.S) -> stage2
> osLoader ( Haiku_loader)
> 2° - BIOS -> BootMan's MBR (bootman.S) -> Haiku_loader
> * the first one is used in the anyboot image, and is also written by the
> DiskManager when you install a Intel partitioning system on a blank disk.

The MBR code is a chain loader. That is Haiku's stage 1 code is loaded in
either case.

CU, Ingo