[haiku-development] Re: [vbox-dev] Linux VHD Boot available - download and boot your physical pc, also runs as vm

  • From: Huihong Luo <huisinro@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 09:32:52 -0700 (PDT)

Ok, then should be very straightforward. You can port it, we will try to post
the source code late next week.

The majority of the src is cross platform, you only need to change the hooks to
the kernel, in runtime.c.

Date: Saturday, April 10, 2010, 9:24 AM

Le Sat, 10 Apr 2010 09:01:37 -0700 (PDT), Huihong Luo a écrit :
> That should be doable. I am not familar with Haiku, but I guess it
> should
>  have something like Linux's loop module? our virtual disk driver is
>  something like the loop module, by mounting a vhd file, and acts as
> a dsik.

Haiku can mount regular files directly as raw partitions, and the boot
partition is mounted as /boot on a virtual rootfs anyway, though it
won't work for vmdk files which aren't a plain image of the
partition...

BeOS had an fmap driver which used block lists in the partition the
image was, passed from the bootloader, to access it directly (without
having to mount the containing filesystem). I started implementing a
similar driver in Haiku but never finished.

Something alike could be done, either as a vmdkloop driver publishing a
device directly or as a partition_module which the device manager uses
to then publish entries in /dev/disk/.

François.