[haiku-development] Re: [vbox-dev] Linux VHD Boot available - download and boot your physical pc, also runs as vm

  • From: Huihong Luo <huisinro@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vbox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 09:01:37 -0700 (PDT)

That should be doable. I am not familar with Haiku, but I guess it should have
something like Linux's loop module? our virtual disk driver is something
like the loop module, by mounting a vhd file, and acts as a dsik.

Date: Saturday, April 10, 2010, 1:43 AM

Hi,

Le Sat, 10 Apr 2010 00:38:12 -0700 (PDT), Huihong Luo a écrit :
> For your information, we used VirtualBox disk source code to make
> Linux
> VHD boot possible. Source code will be provided later after more
> cleanup,
> and with VDI/VMDK support added.
>
> A sample Ubuntu VHD package is ready for download:
>
> http://www.vmlite.com/index.php/download/22-appliances
>  (free site registration required)
>
> download, extract it, then double click setup.exe on Windows, reboot
>
> detailed instructions:
>
> http://www.vmlite.com/appliances/ubuntu-910-readme.html
>
> screenshot:
>
> http://www.vmlite.com/images/vboot/vboot-grub2.png
>
> VMLite Team

Interesting, sounds quite much like what BeOS was doing with their
IMAGE.BE trick, except it was using hardcoded name to find the image
(BEOS/IMAGE.BE in fat and ext2 partitions) and it was more specific ;)

I think Haiku <http://haiku-os.org/> could easily support this as well.
Our bootloader supports getting args from multiboot info though it
doesn't use them yet. And I started to write the code to support the
IMAGE.BE scheme as well but didn't finish, I'll have a look at
supporting this some day.
(Our kernel currently requires using our own bootloader though our
loader but it can easily be chained from grub.)
cf.
http://dev.haiku-os.org/browser/haiku/trunk/src/system/boot/loader

If I had time I'd propose helping with testing on the Mac as well but
I'm too busy :p

François.
--
BeOS did it 15 years ago!