[haiku-development] Re: various problems with current developer head

  • From: Jessica Hamilton <jessica.l.hamilton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 20:39:49 +1300

On 17 January 2015 at 18:17, Michael Mounteney <gate03@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello, I don't do any work on Haiku but do from time to time git pull
> and build the source on various machines.  The version I've most
> recently built has as the last commit:
>
> commit 19ce061e0bf560bab63b4178473e380a5d852013
> Author: unfair to mention, as it's most unlikely he's responsible
> Date:   Fri Jan 16 14:24:32 2015 -0500
>
>     Update BInvoker docs to clarify them

> This is a bit of a ragbag so sorry if it should be done another way.  I
> don't think these are formally 'bugs' yet.
>
> 1.  The background image is always plain blue for me.  Shouldn't it
> have the Haiku logo on it somewhere ?  I remember that once.

Only images built as official have the logo.

> 2.  The new proportional font plays havoc with the terminal.  It's
> necessary to fiddle with the settings to get it back to a fixed-pitch
> font.

This is a problem introduced by outsourcing the DejaVu font packages. I
have argued [unsuccessfully] that it be a hard dependency, to avoid problems
such as this. You'll need to install the font package and change your settings.

I believe `pkgman install dejavu` should resolve this issue.

There might also be an issue with your build profiles if a recently hrev doesn't
include the DejaVu fonts correctly. I'm not familiar with this change, so will
defer to someone else to answer :-)

> 3.  After I've configured the interface, it seems to take about a
> minute after committing the changes for the interface to come up.

This is likely a regression worthy of a bug report (if one hasn't been done). I
also experience this issue: the link light on my NIC doesn't even light up until
a few seconds after the desktop appears.

> 4.  One on machine, a Wyse D10D ('thin client') the build has for the
> last few months frozen at the fourth of the seven icons at start-up.
> The last time however it did at least drop into the kernel debugger.  I
> photographed the KDL screen but even when reduced to a monochome .png
> it's 64 KiB in size.  Is it OK to attach to an email posted to this
> list ?

No, you should file a bug report. We have a limit of 5MB for an attachment, so
size is generally not a limitation.

> 5 & 6: I don't know :)

Hope that helps some,
Jessica