[haiku-development] Re: usb_joy

  • From: "Michael Lotz" <mmlr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 11:18:24 +0200

> So what did this meen? no no yes? usb_hid are that a way of accessing
> USB
> input devices? so should I still make a joystick device in usb_hid?

Yes, the usb_hid driver should be the only place where USB HID devices
are handled. So a joystick driver should be implemented as a
JoystickDevice in usb_hid.

> About the usb_joy
> Some how the usb_joy driver fills a BJoystick without the need of
> gameport
> driver (if its not an unknown part of libdevice.so or a driver that
> we
> don't know about )I did a test by removing the gameport driver in
> Zeta 1.5
> and after changing the ver 1.0 of the usb_joy to use USB3 it works
> here
> without the next test will be to replace libdevice.so :)

If it is the case that BJoystick is the only way to access a joystick
then we are pretty much free to rethink that in Haiku. We could use the
input_server to do joysticks and simply make BJoystick communicate with
the input_server. I remember seeing a discussion about exactly that
topic, but can't remember where. It would IMO make the most sense if it
was built like this. But as I do not know the internals on that I
cannot help you to decide that. It might make no sense for the
input_server to handle joyticks, I really wouldn't know.

Regards
Michael