[haiku-development] Re: software organization/installation

  • From: Michael Kanis <mkanis@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 13:09:33 +0100

Am Dienstag, den 17.02.2009, 10:28 +0100 schrieb Christian Packmann:

> No. He uses one of the clicky-clicky installer generation apps, either
> commercial or freeware. I haven't used any so far, but the modern installer
> generator seems to be pretty good from what I've read.
I think you didn't get my point. It doesn't matter, who wrote the
installer. 3rd party installers are not "good", they are a hacky
workaround for a problem, the OS should provide a solution for and does
not.
Also, even if there is a package manager or some other solution provided
by the OS, you can use crappy installers for YOUR software. Nobody
forces you to do anything for the software you write. But this is not an
excuse for not providing this solution.

I don't think, there is currently the one solution to this problem. But
package managers, as on most Linux distributions and other UNIX-ish
systems are one attempt, self-contained Bundles as on Mac OS X are
another one. Typical standalone installers as most software on Windows
uses are the worst attempt man ever made to try to solve the problem.
Even if many Windows users get used to them, this makes them neither
user nor developer friendly compared to the alternatives.

Regards
Michael