[haiku-development] Re: software organization/installation

  • From: Truls Becken <truls.becken@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 08:13:51 +0100

Ingo Weinhold wrote:
[...]
>> having dozens of mounts,
>
> Mounting packages individually and joining them via a union FS would likely
> be a problem, but I believe Jonas was thinking of only a single mounted FS
> making available the contents of all installed packages.

Reading back, I don't know where I got the impression that he meant
union mounting each package directly. He clearly said that pkgfs would
monitor some folder for packages and present those as one file system.

I guess a pkgfs should behave like a read-only ram disk, except that
it occasionally changes its content to mirror the monitored folder. If
you want to union mount it, this should be orthogonal to the
implementation of pkgfs itself - any FS can overlay any other.

The work done on mount could be reduced by dumping memory to a file on
umount. When remounting, pkgfs would need to check that the monitored
folder has not changed. If it has, it is probably best to just ignore
the cache file.