[haiku-development] Re: shared library areas?

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 16:15:36 +0200

Hi Pete,

On 2011-08-09 at 04:17:35 [+0200], pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I'm puzzled.  Why do multiple instances of a library show different
> addresses (with listarea) in Haiku, when -- as I would expect -- they
> all have the same address in BeOS?

What do you mean by 'multiple instances of a library'? Do you mean two
different programs using the same library? If so, their address are likely
to be different because Haiku will map the library once into the virtual
address space of each program (team). The exact address used depends on the
size of the program and the set (and order) of libraries it uses.
In that context, I seriously doubt that BeOS behaved any differently, since
it uses a virtual address space for each team, too, just like Haiku.

cheers,
        Oliver