[haiku-development] Re: session manager

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 15:09:51 +0200

Am 21.08.2011 14:24, schrieb Clemens:
small correction to my previous mail:

"As Ingo already pointed, I think the solution would be to also add a"

think that was not Ingo's intention:

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 09:59:38 +1200, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
wrote:

And in case you misunderstood me, I was not suggesting that the
session management asked individual windows to be saved/restored, I
was rather thinking of passing/making available the list/a predicate
of concerned windows.

Find that a bit difficult because there is no unique window id and I see
no easy way to add one, i.e. there is no general way to identify a
window in a restored application, the developer has to provide an id.

I would have thought Ingo's point was to give (a hint of) the list of concerned windows at the time the session is stored. At the time the windows are open, there is surely a way to refer to them. The point being that the session manager can ask an application to store all windows on a specific workspace, or reduced by some other filter. The application can then either implement looking at the list at all (that's why it's a hint), or it can ignore it. The session manager can then store this session in a specific way, like under a certain name to create a project related session. At the time the session is restored, the application does not need to concern itself with what window was what. It either only stored the reduced information, or all information. But it doesn't matter for restoring it, it just restores all information contained in the session data.

Best regards,
-Stephan