[haiku-development] Re: session manager

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 16:14:48 +0200

On 2011-06-27 at 12:27:18 [+0200], Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> To sum up:
>   * The session as "deep state" of the system is incompatible with profiles.
>   * Session profiles (to me) don't seem to add much over using
> workspaces to separate projects.
>   * Allowing multiple profiles to be active at once is complicated to
> grasp and may be pretty hard to implement to feel exactly right and
> always do the "expected" thing, especially in conflict situations.
>
> I would favor the very straight forward (and optional) feature to store
> a deep state of the system as "session", and use that to bring the
> computer back into exactly the state that it was in before. Let the
> already existing features like workspaces be used to separate projects.

While getting something comparable to (and ideally working better than) the
Gnome/KDE session management is indeed my main interest, I don't see why not
to make the mechanism more powerful. Workspaces are nice, but e.g. Haiku
alone has far more subprojects I have been working on than I do have
workspaces. A way to selectively open my last packagfs/Debugger/kernel
debugger/VM/... session (including Tracker, Pe, Terminal, BePDF, and Web+
windows) would be pretty cool, ideally with a way to choose the workspaces
for the windows (as stored/on current/select per stored).

At least from what I can tell the requirements for both features are similar
enough to plan a common interface. I believe it has to be a bit more refined,
however, than passing the application a BMessage and letting it use whatever
archival protocol it wants, so the session selector can extract required info.

Anyway, I'd strongly recommend not to start developing this feature in the
trunk as it seems to be quite a bit more complex than adding two new hooks to
BApplication.

CU, Ingo