[haiku-development] Re: session manager

  • From: Alex Wilson <yourpalal2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 15:53:27 -0600

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Clemens <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 08:44:53 +1200, Alex Wilson <yourpalal2@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:

>> Could you elaborate on this? I've been thinking about what an improved
>> notification api would look like for a while, and this sounds like one
>> of the things I bundled with notifications. What I mean to say is that
>> this feature may be misplaced if it is part of the session manager.
>> That said, I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this, so we may be
>> thinking of different things.
>
> I haven't implemented it yet but my idea is that it sends a message to the
> session manager who update a status bar in the shut-down window... If its
> not connected to the shut down process it should be no problem to connect it
> to a notification service.
>

>>> What I'd like is to use it as a kind of project manager. I stack&tile
>>> some
>>> related windows (a terminal; a text editor; a tracker window may be an
>>> usual case for me when developping an app). I'd like to save this group
>>> explicitly, and be able to load it later, with windows in the same
>>> position, and showing the same data. I think the group could be marked in
>>> the Deskbar in Expander mode, each expander group being a S&T group
>>> instead
>>> of an application.
>>
>> This is similar to what I was thinking. I would like the ability to
>> set up different profiles that I can switch between. A coding profile,
>> for instance, might have a terminal open with a tab for vim and a tab
>> in my projects folder, as well as Web+ open for bug tracking and
>> googling. A haiku-coding profile would be similar, but could open
>> dev.haiku-os.org in Web+ and move the terminal to my haiku source
>> directory.
>>

> it could be a little bit tricky, e.g. single launch application could
> already be part of another S&T group and tracker is also just one
> application...

I don't think this would be that hard, there's no reason why tracker
couldn't open up windows for 2 different profiles simultaneously.
However, I was thinking that choosing a new profile while you're
running would replace your current windows, as opposed to
superimposing the profile upon your current configuration.

As far as the API goes, I was thinking that there's no reason to tie
application launching to profile selection. A hook could be used to
ask an app to incorporate a saved state, or replace the current state
with a new one. Of course, activating a new profile could cause an app
to be lauched.

--Alex