[haiku-development] Re: reviving R1/Alpha2 & R1 Final discussions.

On 2010-03-17 at 19:28:10 [+0100], Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Seeing as the R1/Alpha 2 & R1 Final discussions are gathering dust,
> here's some food for thought.
> Here's the previous discussion :
> http://www.freelists.org/archive/haiku-development/02-2010
> 
> At least the feature list for R1 Final needs to be a(n informal) vote.
> 
> In general, since the Beta's should be feature complete, could they be
> released on a tighter cycle, eg ASAP?
> Eg, tag the last alpha for release & branch beta 1 on the same day.
> (also for tagging beta K and branching beta K+1)
> 
> Onto the meat ...
> 
>  * Immediate issues for R1/Alpha 2
>    1. lack of IRQ Routing + wifi drivers can prevent boot
>    1. possible ACPI issues
>    1. possible MTTR issues (does r35825 resolve them?)
>    1. kernel/vm - some people are still seeing stability issues
>    1. do we need to find a solution/agreement of /boot/system vs.
> /boot/common for MandatoryPackages?
>    1. repackaging Optional packages or modifying directory layout
>       * always ensure 2 archives (either for gcc2 & gcc4 -or- gccX,
> gccYhybrid) : 
> http://www.freelists.org/post/haiku/Haiku-gcc2hybrid-and-software-for-gcc4,10
>       * always place libs, addons into a gcc2 or gcc4 folder :
> http://www.freelists.org/post/haiku/Haiku-gcc2hybrid-and-software-for-gcc4,30

I've snipped the rest of your mail, since it's a great task list for the 
roadmap to R1. For the immediate next alpha, I believe the above is most 
interesting and I would suggest to concentrate on that.

On my laptop, I've seen kernel crashes (I believe all of them have open 
tickets). My desktop is running totally stable. The only difference I can 
think of is that my Notebook as a supported wireless device, while my desktop 
has not. My laptop used to be stable as well, the addition of wireless drivers 
is the only thing that changed relative to my desktop. On my desktop though, 
which I use more heavily, I've seen issues with running out of memory, without 
being able to recover. This issue is also tracked already.

The IRQ routing thing may be our biggest issue. It seems to cause numerous 
problems. Other than that, IMHO we should fix the open kernel issues and we 
should be good for the next alpha release. I've already expressed my opinion 
why I don't believe it's an option to remove the layout and locale API. And 
until we go into beta, those don't need to be feature complete.

I was under the impression, that the MTRR issues are now "fixed". I.e. by 
ignoring small ranges, we should not run out of MTRR slots so soon.

As far as packaging goes, I am not sure if we need to repackage all packages 
like we did for the alpha. I would just rebuild those packages which got 
broken by updates to Haiku components.

For libpng, I am not sure if we have a binary compat issue. IIRC, libpng was 
provided by BeOS. The library that we now provide as "libpng.so" has a 
different ABI. But I am not aware of any apps that directly used this, and 
which cannot be rebuilt.

As for creating an alpha 2 branch, I am not sure if we need to do this 
immediately. Nobody seems to work on any big features. As long as only bug 
fixes go in, or new features that have no possible global impact on stability, 
we should be ok with postponing the branching for a while. After all, it does 
cause considerable overhead, so it should only be done when necessary.

Best regards,
-Stephan

Other related posts: