[haiku-development] Re: reviving R1/Alpha2 & R1 Final discussions.

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 22:04:13 +0100

On 2010-03-17 at 20:04:40 [+0100], Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
wrote:
> I was under the impression, that the MTRR issues are now "fixed". I.e. by
> ignoring small ranges, we should not run out of MTRR slots so soon.

Indeed. AFAIK there aren't any open tickets for related problems. I'm
somewhat
hopeful that the current implementation is good enough for the time being.
As
explained not so long ago the whole issue needs a three-way solution, but I
don't think I'll attack that anytime soon. At least as long as the status
quo
seems to work everywhere.

> As far as packaging goes, I am not sure if we need to repackage all
packages
> like we did for the alpha. I would just rebuild those packages which got
> broken by updates to Haiku components.

All packages built under alpha 1, unless broken or unusable for whatever
other
reason, don't need to be rebuilt. All other packages will need to be
rebuilt
either under alpha 1 or under alpha 2 (respectively against an alpha 2
branch
revision after we've updated the versioning info).

> As for creating an alpha 2 branch, I am not sure if we need to do this
> immediately. Nobody seems to work on any big features. As long as only bug
> fixes go in, or new features that have no possible global impact on
> stability,
> we should be ok with postponing the branching for a while. After all, it
> does
> cause considerable overhead, so it should only be done when necessary.

Agreed. When we have set a preliminary tagging date we should also set the
branch date, so that we have reasonable amount of time for consolidating it
(three or four weeks at least, I'd say).

CU, Ingo