[haiku-development] pkg-config and autotools

  • From: David Couzelis <drcouzelis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 23:20:25 -0400

A nice software developer wrote a library I'd like to use on Haiku. I
was able to compile it in Haiku, but I had to tweak the autotools
build files a bit to get it to work. I'm working with the original
developer to update the build files to make the library compile more
easily in Haiku.

The build files for the library use one instance of the
"PKG_CHECK_MODULES" macro, which apparently fails if pkg-config isn't
installed. I didn't realize autotools (which comes with Haiku) has a
macro that has sort of a dependency on pkg-config. That (autotools)
seems kind of silly to me. My question is:

Should I make pkg-config a depency of the library and install
pkg-config using Haiku Ports? Will pkg-config be part of the Haiku
standard installation some day, or remain without it (like Mac OS X,
apparently)? Should I remove the "PKG_CHECK_MODULES" macro and replace
it with something else (if there is a recommended substitute)?

I'm trying to decide what the best solution would be. Thank you for any insight.