[haiku-development] Re: multi-selection semantics

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 12:04:00 +0200 CEST

"Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I suppose that if the Ctrl-people will have the more "PC-like"
> behaviour,
> (Ctrl and Shift working as they expect in list views), as is natural
> given
> their majority, then the old Ctrl-Alt low-level swapping means, that
> us
> Alt-people get an odd mix that is neither Windows/Linux nor MacOS.
> No? (Much like how those of us who choose Alt as shortcut key have
> to Ctrl-Tab instead of the standard Alt-Tab.)

Indeed, but it's just different from what we have now, and closer to
what others are doing.

> I was thinking the current leftclick+control (the single-button-mouse
> fallback option to bring up the right-click context menu) would
> conflict
> with the function control would have in list selection, but people
> with
> Control set as the "shortcut key" have leftclick+alt as the context
> menu fallback option.

Oh, you're right. That means we should better mimic MacOS X here, which
uses:
* shift for range selecting (as windows)
* command for single item selecting (instead of control)
* control for right click - at least Tracker does so, but it's only
Tracker which does this

IOW maybe we should get rid of control-click for the right mouse button
in Tracker, and make it a system wide thing (which would potentially
break a lot of apps), or get rid of it altogether. OTOH the left click
delayed context menu popup is another Tracker feature that is not
consistent with how the rest of the system behaves. Any ideas?

Also, I just found out that, at least on BeOS, the behaviour is indeed
inconsistent, as the list views are using the option key for range
selecting, while Tracker is using the command key for this.

> Will you implement multi-range selection as in Windows?
> IIRC, you do this by varying which of ctrl and shift you keep pressed
> while
> you walk the files with the arrow keys/etc. As an example you can
> select a
> range, then deselect a range within that range, or go on and add
> another
> range, with or without the mouse. It's convenient sometimes.

That sounds like a good idea to be put into Trac as an enhancement :-)

Bye,
   Axel.