[haiku-development] Re: moving classes from libbnetapi to libnetwork

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 09:41:22 +0100

On 01/16/2015 06:07 PM, Adrien Destugues wrote:
It seems it should be possible to move the relevant parts of these
classes to libnetwork without having it depend on libbe. As far as I can
see:

I would prefer if the high-level network API stayed in libbnetapi, and libnetwork only contains the (mostly) POSIX basics.

[...]
Alternatively, I could move the code to getifaddrs, and implement these
classes using getifaddrs instead of sockets/ioctls. This is how it is
done for other parts of the libbnetapi currently, but I much prefer
writing the implementation in C++ and wrapping it in a C API.

Why not stay with the status quo?
The only user of getifaddrs so far is libbind, and that is part of libbnetapi, anyway.

Otherwise, if it's not performance hit, I'd either use getifaddrs() in the C++ code, or pull a private base class out of the C++ API that both implementations use.

Bye,
   Axel.