[haiku-development] more emacs fun

  • From: Alexander Botero-Lowry <alex.boterolowry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 00:37:38 -0800

So after ignoring it for a while I started back at emacs porting this weekend.

I did some investigation of why dumping was failing and it's pretty obviously
the result of the lack of sbrk(0). From Michael's post earlier I presume that
I can't even count on contigious memory, so there probably isn't a
function-to-function transformation I can do here. The OS X dumper actually
counts on non-contigious memory, but it also has a weird executable format
that its meant to produce (and uses Mach system calls for all the memory mapping
stuff). It seems like the two options are to either port xemacs' portable
dumper,
which I've heard rumor may actually have been done before, or to write a custom
dumper which I don't think I have the knowledge to do.

For now I've settled for just disabing dumping. From there I've run into what
seems like an infinite loop while trying to byte-compile one of the elisp files,
I'm going to see if I can disable that code (CEDET), and see if gdb tells me
anything useful..

Emacs seems to be having a fun time getting me almost, but not quite to
something
usable. :D

Alex