[haiku-development] Re: mkfs utility for haiku

  • From: Gabriele Biffi <mlist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 17:20:33 +0200

Stephan Assmus wrote:
Marco Minutoli wrote:
On Wed, 07 May 2008 12:32:57 +0200
Gabriele Biffi <mlist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Uh, if we want to be truly KISS, a generic mkfs is too complex :)

There's already mkbfs, mkiso, etc. what's the need for a generic tool? To make user's life simple. A quick wipe is a simple work and adds that little security that's always welcome.
As far as I know there isn't a working mkbfs already and that's why we are here talking about mkfs :). I, as a user, expect that a CLT does just one thing(initialize a volume in this case no matter of the kind of volume). Now the point is: is wiping data part of the initialization process from a user point of view?

I think no but that's only my cent. I will follow the decision of the majority.

I also think no. But I understand Gabriele looks at this from a point of "protecting the user from him- or herself". A simple warning message could do.

More precisely, I believe that a user will think that the data is actually destroyed and nobody can retrieve it when he sells his old computer.

Yes, I know there's people who sells old computers with all their stuff on it - photos, MP3s, viruses... - but I want to target smarter people :-)

In any case, it shouldn't write zeros by default, since that could be unwanted in many situations. For example, I still remember how much I hated installing Windows before it learned to quick-format partitions during install.

1s, 0s, 0x55s... whatever.

Regards,

Gabriele