[haiku-development] Re: "media-plugin" naming convention (was Re: Donating codes: APE reader)

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 16:18:15 +0200 CEST

<philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > 3. keep the current structure, but rename "plugins" to something
> > like
> > "file", "stream", ... - again, I would prefer "file" here for the
> > above
> > reason.
> What about split our "plugins" to the previous "decoders",
> "encoders", "extractors"
> and "writers" subfolders, indeed? File/stream Haiku's media plugins
> are extractors/writers,
> after all, no?
> Or the issue is now the same file/stream "plugin" feature both read
> and write, and can't
> anymore be separate?

The latter - while it's not strictly necessary to have encoder/decoder
in the same file, you will often either use the same library or even
have the reader/decoder in a single file when the container isn't
separated from the codec (for example musepack), so I think it's
practical to allow them to be in a single file.

Bye,
   Axel.