[haiku-development] Re: ipro1000 (e1000) are now 3 drivers in freebsd

Fredrik Modèen<fredrik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Fitting name?
>
> ipro1000_em, ipro1000_lme ipro1000_igb. Something like that? With this wee
> keep the name from FreeBSD even better would be to rename ipro1000 to
> e1000 ;) but I think the ipro1000 says more than e1000

That's why I specificially mentioned it: I don't consider those good names.
Haiku driver names should be descriptive for the hardware they are serving --
not for the FreeBSD driver they are based on.

> Will test that. special if_em.c and if_lem.c looks the same and have the
> same function etc. but when I read about them in FreeBSD they talk about
> not being the same. Can be that there are more files not needed in one and
> not the other..
>
> So to not change the FreeBSD driver that much I still one the path to
> create 3 separate drivers from the same source.

That will definitely be the easier way to go, even though I think it's not a
good one if the drivers are sharing that much code -- but I guess we just have
to suffer from this FreeBSD decision.
Anyway, please disregard my Jamfile suggestions, and use what Ingo mentioned;
ie. build a kernel static library out of the common sources.

Bye,
   Axel.