[haiku-development] Re: iPod on Haiku

  • From: André Braga <meianoite@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 13:23:05 -0300

On 07/04/2009, James Bell wrote:
> but they did used to
> ask what format you wanted the disc in: HFS+ or FAT32. This had the
> aggrevating side effect that if you owned an OS X box and a Windows
> box, you couldn't sync your iPod to both without reformatting the iPod
> partition (another reason to ditch the device).

Uh. I've been able to sync my FAT32-formatted 4G iPod to both for
years now. I believe this limitation was lifted when the Shuffle was
introduced, or even before.

As for the DB, it's not encrypted, but crypto-hash-signed in the newer
models to detect corruption. So the hashing algo had to be broken in
order for 3rd party apps to write to the DB, which Apple felt was done
in violation to the DMCA or something. Meaning that (as long as no
similar bill passes there) European citizens can just ignore the noise
and sync their iPods to any alternative music manager they see fit.

Cheers,
A.