[haiku-development] Re: iPod on Haiku

  • From: Dustin Howett <alaricx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 10:06:07 -0400

> The way the iPod is partitionned is not "standard" (as far as I know there
> are many ways to partition a drive : Intel, Apple,  Sun, etc).
> So I suspect an Apple partitionning for the Ipod (need to be confirmed) and
> only XP can show them correctly.
> On Linux's GParted and Haiku's DiskSetup, the information are twisted. Linux
> handles the iPod by loading a special driver when it detects it, but GParted
> seems to rely on its own analyse to determine the partitions (only Intel's I
> guess).

This isn't true for most of the older WinPods (FAT32), I believe.
There's no special driver and it's definitely got Intel/MBR-style
partitioning. XP supports nothing other than that, and at the most
basic level, an iPod is a Mass Storage device.
This could have, however, changed with the advent of the third
generation Nano (the fat one).
Every USB model before that is purely mass-storage, though.

-- Dustin L. Howett