[haiku-development] Re: iPod on Haiku

  • From: Denis Papin <ddcrespe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 15:56:31 +0200

> $ mkdir /ipod
> $ mount -t fat /dev/disk/<ipod-path> /ipod

I tried the command below but it failed. No certain is a "mount" issue.

I investigated a little and I found out interesting things :

1) The iPod has two distinct partitions ( let's name them P1 (small, about 99
MB ) and P2 )
2) P2 is FAT32 formatted and contains all the data but the Apple's firmware.

but :

The way the iPod is partitionned is not "standard" (as far as I know there are
many ways to partition a drive : Intel, Apple,  Sun, etc).
So I suspect an Apple partitionning for the Ipod (need to be confirmed) and
only XP can show them correctly.
On Linux's GParted and Haiku's DiskSetup, the information are twisted. Linux
handles the iPod by loading a special driver when it detects it, but GParted
seems to rely on its own analyse to determine the partitions (only Intel's I
guess).

So I did something fun. I dd'ed the P2 to a file and send it back to a 8 MB SD
Card. The SD Card was previously partitionned (1 primary, /dev/sde1 ).
I plugged the card to my Haiku laptop and....magic happened, the drive showed
up ! (I am currently listening a m4a's from it :-))

So I think the only thing we need to fix, is the way Haiku analyses the iPod's
partitions. If it could parse them correctly, iPod's P2 will auto mount for
sure !

When I say "fix", I am not even certain that's a fix, because the iPod
partitionning can be very specific (not even Apple), it would then be an
enhancement. Should we create a ticket for that, I will.

I am interested in learning more about how Haiku analyses the partitions but as
I am new to Haiku, I don't know where to start (what documents and what sources
to read, etc). I could then implement the mysterious iPod partitionning system.

Denis

> To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [haiku-development] Re: iPod on Haiku
> From: axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 11:49:21 +0000
>
> Denis Papin wrote:
> > Was wondering if I could force the mount with the mount command but
> > all my
> > tests failed.
>
> Maybe it's just a bug in the FAT identification. Have you tried to
> manually enforce fat?
> Like this:
>
> $ mkdir /ipod
> $ mount -t fat /dev/disk/<ipod-path> /ipod
>
> In either case, please file a bug report for this.
>
> Bye,
>    Axel.

Téléphonez gratuitement à tous vos proches avec Windows Live Messenger  !
Téléchargez-le maintenant !
http://www.windowslive.fr/messenger/1.asp