[haiku-development] Re: iPod on Haiku

  • From: Denis Papin <ddcrespe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 19:39:21 +0200

After a quick analysis of the situation, it seems that we can break down the
iPod task in 3 phases :

1) Mount the iPod as a FAT32 hard drive, the same way we can do it on Linux and
XP
2) Write some classes to access the iTunes DB (there's some cool C libs on
Linux already)
3 a) Find and Implement the hack for the version 1 of the iTunesDB checksum.
3 b) Figure out the checksum issue for recent iPhone 2.0 / iPod Touch ( v2, not
hacked yet ! Open issue !)

Phase 2) does not seem to have any pitfalls to get through, so I will first
focus on Phase 1)

Personnally, my iPod 8 GB has no checksum protection, so I will not be able to
work on this phase for now.

Regarding Phase 1), any clue's welcome.

Denis

> Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 17:56:44 +0200
> From: fekdahl@xxxxxxxxx
> To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [haiku-development] Re: iPod on Haiku
>
> François Revol skrev:
> > IMO the best way to support iPods would be to write a custom fs
> > (possibly with userlandfs, or maybe extending an existing FUSE one with
> > xattrs + queries), or even better, an iPod fs layer that would just sit
> > on top of the regular FAT fs.
>
> On a similar note, file system add-ons for MTP and PTP would be really
> useful to get general support for most cameras and portable media
> players. There seems to be some FUSE file systems supporting these, eg.
> MTPfs (based on libmtp) and gphotofs (based on libgphoto2).
>
> Maybe a bit too late, but file system support for those would probably
> have been good GSOC projects.
>
> --
> /Fredrik Ekdahl

Inédit ! Des Emoticônes Déjantées! Installez les dans votre Messenger !
http://www.ilovemessenger.fr/Emoticones/EmoticonesDejantees.aspx