[haiku-development] Re: hpkgs and compression

  • From: Jonathan Schleifer <js-haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 17:06:18 +0100

Am 16.03.2014 um 16:48 schrieb Julian Harnath <julian.harnath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Another option would be switching the hpkg compression algorithm to
> LZ4, which is optimized for performance and many times faster than
> DEFLATE. It's the commonly used compression algorithm in ZFS. See
> benchmark comparison here: http://code.google.com/p/lz4/ (in Web+ that
> table looks messed up though)

I agree that this would be better for storing it on disk, or maybe LZO. The
problem is: That means larger files to transfer over the net, as compressing
something compressed is inefficient. That's exactly the whole point: We should
not use the same compression for transfering an hpkg and storing an hpkg. That
was my idea: Leave the hpkg itself uncompressed, and compress it on the file
system (e.g. using LZO, LZ4) and compress it during transfer (e.g. LZMA).
That'll give the best of both worlds.

--
Jonathan