[haiku-development] Re: harddisk access

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 13:32:58 +0200

Hi Euan,

Euan Kirkhope wrote (2007-07-25, 12:37:46 [+0200]):
> I've looked at this also when trying to fix an IDE DMA issue with my
> desktop chipset.  Couldn't really figure it out at all, and I was only at
> the kernel level!

I appear to have the same problem with my chipset. Luckily, ZETA apparently
tries to re-read after DMA timeouts, whereas Haiku goes into KDL
eventually, with "Device timeout" panics. Would be great if this was fixed.
The problem seems to depend on how many harddrives I connect. With one PATA
drive, I can boot and use Haiku. With an additional SATA drive (in IDE
compat mode), I can boot and use ZETA from the SATA drive, but I get tons
of IDE DMA timeouts after a couple of minutes use. Windows would only
install with the lonely PATA drive in place, and it doesn't boot as soon as
the SATA drive is connected. With another SATA drive and no PATA drive, I
can barely use ZETA, because the DMA timeouts get really bad. I can boot
Haiku from that drive, but when it tries to write back the pages (sync)
everything file related freezes and then I get the KDLs with the Device
timeout errors. With the first SATA drive as only drive, I can use ZETA
fine, but Haiku doesn't boot because BFS produces a read-error during boot,
so that it doesn't even find the boot partition... I think my chipset or
rather the BIOS is really bad :-\

Best regards,
-Stephan