[haiku-development] Re: [haiku-doc] Re: Machine translation (was: Re: Wiki for translation/localization teams)

Hi!

I was absent for the last week, so I'm a bit late for the game. I also
don't have that much to add... :)

-- Jonas Sundström, on Sun, 01 Nov 2009 17:05:11 +0100 CET:
> Open-source projects such as ours don't exactly abound with easy,
> bite-sized tasks which non-programmers can sink their teeth into.
> (Legal services, accounting, server administration, etc being
> examples of non-developer work that need more experience and
> long-term commitment.) Translation -is- such an area where a lot
> of people can actually contribute if only we set up some proper
> web service for it (revision-aware cross-translation-reference?)
> or at the very least provide some decent offline tools.

I whole heartedly agree. We have many fine volunteers who are eager to
give Haiku, even if it's just the translation of the user guide, their
personal touch. With Vincent's nice online service, everyhing's in
place and people (esp. Spanish and German) are viciously storming
through page after page. :)
Have a look at http://userguide.haikuzone.net. It's revision-aware and
cross-translation-referenceing, if I understand what you mean with
that, i.e. changes in the English original are tracked and the
respective blocks of the translations are marked "fuzzy" to indicate
possible updates.

> I personally wouldn't want to be restricted to some simplified
> language, and I resent the idea of having a single language -
> likely English - as a master language which one has to use for
> content creation, and from which all translations are generated.

I too, strongly refuse restricting authors and translators to
simplistic language. The writers do what they do out of love of Haiku
and of writing and language itself. Me at least...
Minimizing the usage of language to improve a computational process of
a semi-automatic/whatever  translation service is out of the question.
It would be like restricting a chef to only use the same 5 ingredients

> English often has that role, e.g. in programming, but formalizing
> this practice also for natural languages doesn't sit well with me.

At the moment, English is the "master language" for the user guide and
I don't see how that could change. If we want user guides that have
identical contents over all languages, there needs to be a common
ground.
If there were, e.g. a Spanish user writing a document it will have to
be translated to English first, before it's included in the official
user guide. I see no problem with that. Compare it to Haiku's
development itself. If that Spanish developer had a new app or
preference that is voted to be included in the image, it's GUI too, has
to be first submitted in English before the other localisation strings
are provided.

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de