[haiku-development] Re: [haiku-commits] r34117 - haiku/trunk/src/apps/deskbar

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 09:33:33 +0100

"Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> -- Axel Dörfler, on Thu, 19 Nov 2009 08:06:14 +0100:
> > "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > What do you say to OPT+ESC (i.e. "Win"+ESC). Activating a
> > > window's
> > > menu is done with CMD+ESC (i.e. "Alt"+ESC) right now.
> > That makes sense, although OPT is not the menu key - the windows
> > key
> > is the opt key.
> But while every keyboard AFAIK has an OPT key (Win or AltGr (normally
> to the right of the spacebar), not everyone has a menu key, right?

No, it either has the windows and the menu keys, or none of those.
That might differ for Apple keyboards, though - I don't know.

> > I wouldn't mind to make the menu key an alternative to the Ctrl-Alt
> > modifier, as it's actually pretty much unused.
> Because of the above, I'd opt for OPT. Plus, with all the switching
> business - between apps (CMD+Tab), within apps (CTRL+Tab, toggle with
> CTRL+~) - switching workspaces could be moved from ALT+Fx, toggle
> with
> ALT+~ to OPT+Fx and OPT-~.
> Add to that OPT instead of CTRL+ALT +Cursor for Workspace navigating
> +LMB for window moving (and resizing one day?) and you have all the
> needed modifier keys neatly in one place. And this mostly window
> management is done with the "Windows" key. :)

OPT is problematic, as that one is already in use by applications (like
Wonderbrush).
Of course we could break compatibility in this regard, but I wouldn't
like that.

Bye,
   Axel.