[haiku-development] Re: [haiku-commits] Re: r43210 - haiku/trunk/src/preferences/keymap

  • From: Siarzhuk Zharski <zharik@xxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 10:06:25 +0200

Dear Ryan,

On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 17:23:02 -0500, Ryan Leavengood wrote:
But I will say John basically copied this from Mac OS X which is
supposed to be one of the most beautiful and usable of the popular
operating systems. Drag and drop is not particularly easy to use or
discoverable. Just because some of us are used to the way this dialog
works it does not mean new users will find it easy to use too.

It may be usable, but Haiku must be much more usable than other OSes otherwise we just loosing our time working on it. ;-) Copying is just one of many ways to obtain the "raw materials" for further work. We should not make our OS from the pieces of other OS-es, IMO.

When I first opened the current Keymaps preflet it was not
particularly intuitive and I still don't think I can use it all that
well.

Most of functionality is hidden and need some learning before use it. I do not think that total reconfiguring of the keymap modifiers is the task for the first day of using thе system. Familiarizing with the Keymap Preflet is a bit puzzling, but using it is flyent. And more, the whole system should be based on the same using principles - than learning every another component will be not needed. In case user want "reconfigure all as it was in my old OS" he is not our "client". BTW, changing the mind is a very good menthal practice. ;-)

--
Kind Regards,
   S.Zharski