[haiku-development] Re: [haiku] Re: NetPositive missing symbol?

  • From: Donn Cave <donn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 14:27:16 -0800 (PST)

Quoth Pete Goodeve,
> ...  Under NP it was readable in under 2 seconds;
> with WP I was still waiting 30 secs later!

By coincidence, I just today experimented with a fix for this problem
in WebPositive.  My build loads a page in something like 3 seconds,
compared to 19 seconds for the standard build.

If you use strace on WebPositive, you can see what it's up to during
those seconds - I think you'll see it's timing out in _kern_select,
after sending what I believe are IPV6 DNS requests.  (The timeouts add
up to 22 seconds, maybe my wall clock timing is off.)  My fix was to
specify an IPv4-only option for the curl library called by webcore.

I tacked something about this onto a Haiku trac report (#8293) last
weekend - I'm guessing it's natural and expected behavior for applications
to pick up on the appearance of IPv6 code support and try to use it, so
it's up to the OS to make that fail in a reasonable way.  So I don't
see it as a WebPositive problem, and `fix' is a band-aid over the
current IPv6 situation.  I'm at r43668, by the way.

        Donn