[haiku-development] Re: [haiku] Re: Future releases? Recommend nightlies? gcc2?

  • From: kallisti5 <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2016 12:42:36 -0600

On 2016-12-01 12:34, Andrew Lindesay wrote:

Hello;

The idea of having repo servers in multiple geographic regions has come
up before, would this be a good time to look into that?  Our current
infrastructure is pretty slow outside of Europe.

On this note; would it be OK to add a GUID for the repositories?  I am
currently using the access-URL as a unique key between the HaikuDepot
desktop environment and the application server, but this approach will
stop working once there are mirrors in place.

Regards;

Funny story, in my (unmerged) repo rework I removed the repo url from the repos themselves.

From what i've been told, the url in the repos was so pkgman could tell if a repo was a mirror or the original. My opinion on all of this is having the repos self-aware of their location is kind of silly and creates a lot of repo management problems as they are binary and you can only manage them via package kit tools.

I'm 1000% onboard with a UUID in the repos (it was one of my goals).
This would be a solid way to validate if a repo is the original or a mirror to prevent duplication, but not weirdly lock them to an arbitrary URL.

I'm rebuilding my primary laptop tonight with an NVMe, once it has been reinstalled i'll see if I can test bootstrap with my new repo changes. (the URL in the repo definition had worked itself into the package kit in some odd ways.)

Once complete and merged we can add a UUID extremely easily and it will be a clean solution. :-)

https://github.com/kallisti5/haiku/tree/repo-cleanup

 -- Alex