[haiku-development] Re: [haiku] Package Manager:

On 21.05.2012 08:54, Fredrik Holmqvist wrote:
2012/5/21 Sean Healy<jalopeura@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
So what is the holdup on package manager?

It looks like we're talking about:

1) Dev with commit rights
2) Not currently working (so has time for a contract like this)
3) Capable of and interested in the task

Are all our devs too busy with other work? Do none of those with time for a
contract feel up to the task? Are none of them interested in it?

Afaict it's a bit hard to gather info about what its state is and what
needs to be done to get it completed. I've been meaning to write an
email to ask if this could be clarified.
There is a wiki-page with TODO's here:
http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/TODO/package_manager
Is this info up to date, and is it possible to improve upon it?

The original version of the TODO page has been created 11 Months ago by Ingo Weinhold, the developer who last worked on it (IIRC). Since then, the page has seen multiple updates, the most recent one 3 weeks ago. That is simply according to the version history of the Wiki page that anyone can have a look at. So I would assume the page is perfectly up to date.

Furthermore, I think the package management kit, both the status quo and the outstanding tasks, are amazingly well documented, especially compared to other stuff that one might wonder about. If a developer truly wants to dig into the subject, she should have plenty of information. That being said, it's always possible to improve the TODO page. But obviously not every little detail will be on the TODO page. If that research had already been done by anyone, that same person might as well have written the code in the first place. Anyone wanting to dig into this, will have to get his feet wet and it won't be easy.

That's probably why nobody stepped up to pick up the work. Not because of lack of information.

Best regards,
-Stephan