[haiku-development] Re: h264 was broken? [was Re: Beta1 and R1 release plan]

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 16:12:34 +0100

> Am 04.11.2014 um 11:26 schrieb Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>:
>
>>> Well, yes, we could go back to ffmpeg 0.8.something, which worked, but
>>> then we lose support for h264 and probably some other really common
>>> video and audio formats (also for decoding).
>>
>> I don’t know why you say that. I can assure you that h264 worked when I
>> worked on the ffmpeg media add-on. Maybe it got broken by an in-between
>> update of ffmpeg, I don’t know. At least I was not aware that it was broken
>> at some point, and I watched h264 encoded videos on Haiku from time to time.
>
> Well then, why don't we revert to that perfectly working ffmpeg version,
> if there is such a thing?

Please take my apologies, I think I confused the h263 encoding (which was
enabled before) and h264 encoding.

In any case, the other problems you mention were most likely already there (and
I did not mean those above). I think I tested .ogg encoding with Clockwork,
which probably uses float audio then. In any case, it’s been a long time ago.
At that time, the ffmpeg version was still in our tree and it was patched, too.

Best regards,
-Stephan