[haiku-development] Re: gsoc2010: File systems

  • From: Janito Ferreira Filho <jvffprog@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Haiku Development <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 14:00:44 +0000

> That sounds like the way to go.
> ext2 write support shouldn't be too hard, although I would try to go
> for ext3 already, initially (we have ext3 read support, too, as long as
> it was cleanly unmounted), as this should give you a better picture of
> how to implement it properly.
>
> Another option would be to start with adding read support for ext4 -
> this would give you a complete overview over ext2/3/4 functionality and
> inner workings, and might actually help with implementing write
> support, too.
>
> In any case, the existing ext2 code should be a good base to start
> from. Alternatively, one could try to port the Linux code into a new
> file system; I'm not sure that would be much easier, though, and having
> an MIT licensed fully implemented ext4 file system in C++ sounds
> appealing to me as well.
>
> Bye,
>    Axel.

Hi,

I've already started reading the existing ext2 code. I fully agree a MIT
licensed C++ implementation of the file system would be very appealing =). I
think the best plan would be to add ext2 write support as the main objective.
Secondary objectives would be probably to continue on to a full ext3 write
support, and possibly (if there's time) implement ext4 read support. Does this
look okay for a GSOC project? Should I look for mentors to talk to before the
application is made? Thank you again for all the help,

Janito