[haiku-development] Re: gcc4 failure

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 07:44:25PM -0400, John Scipione wrote:
> Pete Goodeve,
>
> I have a perhaps naive suggestion. Have you tried deleting your
> generated/objects/ directory (or perhaps generated.gcc4/objects/ if you are
> doing a hybrid build) and rebuilding? It is possible that you simply have a
> stale object file causing a problem and that is why you are not seeing the
> problem in the source file.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't see how that could be it.  The
error message was quite clearly from the source.

It looks anyway as if my feeling that it was a compiler fault is correct.
I downloaded the latest gcc-4.5.3 and installed it, and the build then
went through to completion (picking up from where it failed before).

[But *please* somebody put instructions for updating gcc somewhere
visible on the website!  I would have had no idea how to find it if
I hadn't trawled back through my old mails to find Adrien's post on
where to download it from.

I saw that there are two packages with 'r1a3' in the string -- a 4.4.4
and a 4.5.3.  I took the plunge and chose the latest, but is that still
'experimental' maybe?]

Thanks,
        -- Pete --