[haiku-development] Re: driver in user add-ons directory won't be loaded during boot phase

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 16:19:46 +0200 CEST

Hi Colin,

Colin Günther <coling@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Another reason, leading to the conclusion that it might be a user add
> -on
> specific issue, is the following output contained in several syslogs,
> too:
>
> KERN: Could not load kernel add-on
> "/boot/home/config/add-ons/kernel/drivers/dev/net": Is a directory

This just means that the kernel detected a new file in a watched
directory, and tries to load it as a driver (before realizing that this
is a directory).
The message is misleading, though, and this shouldn't even be tried for
directories.

> There is no solution to this phenomenon so far and I don't know
> whether
> this is intended behaviour. At least I didn't find any bug report
> about
> it. If this is a bug I go ahead and file it.

While the /boot/home/config/ kernel drivers will be faded out (probably
even for R1), and replaced by /boot/common/, this is definitely a bug
that deserves to be fixed.

Bye,
   Axel.