[haiku-development] Re: coding style

> "Michael Lotz" <mmlr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > This is really the one thing I also disagree. For one thing it
> > simply
> > looks ugly to me to have the * or & attached to the type, but this
> > is
> > preference with no real technical basis. BTW I could agree to "char
> > *
> > ",
> > but it gets funny when you specify "const char*" or even "extern
> > const
> > char*". It looks inconsistent to me to have spacing between the
> > "const"
> > and the "char" and then not between the "char" and the "*". Of
> > course
> > you cannot write "constchar*", but for me it looks more natural to
> > be
> > consequent and have all the parts of the type separated by spaces
> > which
> > results in "const char *".
>
> Think of "const" and "static" as attributes or qualifiers to the type
> "char*" itself if that helps.

It doesn't, as I think of "*" as a qualifier or attribute to "char" ;-
).

Anyway, as we simply do not agree, it is pretty pointless to argue over
it. As we disallow the double variable declaration "char *variable1, *
variable2;" per the style guide as well, there is nothing technically
preventing either style. The question is how do we proceed from here?
Should we cast a vote or do we simply agree on the compromise you
proposed and write that down to the style guide? I think one can get
used to pretty much everything, so I can live with "char*" as well (but
I still find it ugly :-)).

Regards
Michael