[haiku-development] Re: building mediaplayer

  • From: sami vuokila <varjosanomat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 01:18:17 +0900

yep. zipping the files under osx didnt work at all, unzipping took haiku to
kdl..

I did yet another fresh nightly install, wgetted the trunk and now it jams ok.
i built My Very First mediaplayer and it ran gracefully until it crashed. =)

my main interest is to stop mediaplayer crashing media services when you lauch
heaps of videos. after a few weeks we're demoing haiku at the kansai open
source conference so i'd like things to be nice.

Maybe the problem of mediaserver crashing is in the mediaserver and or media
addon server but for now i'd be happy if i could masquerade the problem somehow.

it looks like when you open a media file there is a peak of processor usage.
when you are running low on cycles with many videos already playing, this peak
kills first the sound (it wont come back) and video on other instances freezes
but comes back alive after random interval.

so my idea a:

lower the priority of mediaplayer when the video is being prepared to show (the
peak) and ramping it up again when we have displayed the first frame.

idea b:
read processor usage from somewhere and bail out if we are likely to get in
trouble with launching yet another video.

there seems to be enough cycles to run the 7th or 8th video file if the peak
would not kill mediaserver.

thoughts?

cheers,
sami